This NAIDOC Week might look a little different for us due to the COVID lockdown in our area of Sydney, but we can still honour and celebrate Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture.
Check out our list of favourites:
- Freeman on ABC iViewThe story of a nation coming together around Indigenous athlete Cathy Freeman who delivered when it mattered on the greatest stage on earth. 20 years on, FREEMAN sheds light on one of Australia's proudest moments.
- Stan Grant’s One Plus One on ABC iViewA series of in-depth conversations exploring issues around identity. He talks to some well-known Australians about who they are, and whether what they see is what the world sees.
- Redfern Now on ABC iView (2 seasons)Six different families, all of whose lives are changed by a moment's decision, an accident or a seemingly insignificant incident. This kaleidoscopic drama explores Indigenous life in Australia's most infamous suburb, Redfern.
- The Australian Dream on PrimeThe remarkable story of Indigenous AFL legend Adam Goodes. Through the backdrop of Goodes' journey, the feature documentary explores race, identity and belonging in Australia today.
- Sweet Country (R) on Netflix An Aboriginal man goes on the run after he kills a white man in self-defence.
- The Tracker (M) on NetflixWhen a white woman is murdered in 1920s Australia, a police officer ventures into the outback with a small crew in search of the aboriginal fugitive accused of the crime. In his group is an indigenous tracker who is not fully trusted by the racially prejudiced officer.
- Goldstone (M) on NetflixIndigenous detective Jay Swan arrives in the town of Goldstone to search for a missing person, and his simple duty becomes complicated when he uncovers a web of crime and corruption.
- The Sapphires (PG) on NetflixA would-be music promoter (Chris O'Dowd) sees something special in a girl group of four Australian singers and takes them to Vietnam to perform for American troops.
- If you are interested in the cultural tradition of Acknowledgment of Country, this TED Talk by Jade Kennedy is an excellent use of your time (11.30 minutes).
- Speakola Podcast: Here I Am ─ Tania Major's speech to Prime Minister John Howard, also The Australian Dream ─ Stan Grant's speech on racism Podcast that talks to the people behind the speeches that changed us.